St Patrick's Pontifical University, Maynooth has close links with Maynooth University (the National University of Ireland, Maynooth). The two universities share the same campus and facilities. Maynooth University’s Access Office caters for students of both Universities. The Disability Access Route to Education (DARE) is a supplementary admissions scheme for school leavers with disabilities. DARE was established by a number of colleges and universities, as clear evidence shows that disability can have a negative impact on how well a student does at school and whether or not they go on to college. School leavers who meet the eligibility criteria compete for a quota of places allocated to applicants on a reduced points basis in the Pontifical University, Maynooth. All applicants must meet the Irish Leaving Certificate (or equivalent) matriculation / minimum entry and subject requirements.
Who Should Apply to DARE?
DARE is for school leavers (under 23 years of age as at January in the year of proposed entry) who have the ability to benefit from and succeed in higher education but who may not meet the points for their preferred course due to the impact of a disability. Mature and FETAC applicants have different admissions routes and you can get further information on these routes from the Admissions Office; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: (01) 7084772
How to Apply to DARE
Apply to the CAO at www.cao.ie by 17:15 on 1st February.
No later than 17:15 on 1st March you must disclose your disability in your
CAO application and fully and correctly complete Section A of the Supplementary Information Form (the SIF is a part of your CAO application).
You must select “Yes” to Question 1 on Section A of the SIF by 17:15 on 1 March.
Please ensure that you click on the ‘Submit’ button when you have finished completing your DARE application form. If you have saved your DARE application form, don’t forget to submit it by 1 March 2015.
You must return the fully completed Second Level Academic Reference Form (Section B) and Evidence of Disability Form (Section C) to the CAO by 17:15 on 1st April.
To confirm you have completed your online application correctly (Questions 1-5), please go to www.cao.ie, click on My Application, enter your login details and check the information you have entered. You can make changes to your DARE application until 1 March.
For further information on “MAKING A DARE APPLICATION” go to: http://accesscollege.ie/dare/
Condition of a DARE Offer
Applicants who receive a DARE offer must register with the Disability Office and agree on a schedule of meetings with the service. Details of post admission supports for DARE entrants can be found on https://www.maynoothuniversity... and www.accesscollege.ie.
More information on DARE is available from your School Guidance Counsellor or the Disability Office at Maynooth University. Information can also be found on: www.accesscollege.ie; www.cao.ie; https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/access-office.
Eligibility – Disability Access Route to Education (DARE)
Applicants are deemed eligible for consideration under the DARE scheme if the following criteria are met:
- Student has applied through the CAO to the DARE scheme by 1st February and has submitted all required supporting documentation to the CAO by 1st April.
- Specific disability documentation provided is deemed acceptable and there is a significant impact on educational performance due to the impact of disability/specific learning difficulty.
- Eligible applicants must satisfy (i) the DARE criteria plus (ii) Pontifical University matriculation requirements & any specific course requirements.
1. Grade H5 or higher in 2 Higher Level subjects & Grade O6/H7 or higher in 4 Ordinary or Higher Level Subjects including English, Irish and a third language.
2. Any specific subject requirements for the course (e.g. Music requires a H5.)
3. Applicants must have attained at least 300 points in their best six Leaving Certificate subjects.
- The maximum Leaving Certificate concession for eligible applicants is 60 points.
- Where demand for places exceeds the number of places available, places will be awarded on the basis of academic merit.
- Appropriate orientation programmes for students will be provided and will take place prior to the College’s general orientation programme. Attendance at this orientation (Launchpad) for students who are offered a place through the DARE/HEAR scheme is compulsory.
This table provides detail of the minimum number of reduced points places available on each course.
Note that these numbers are for guideline purposes only and may vary from year to year.
Please see our prospectus for course requirements. Disability Access Route to Education (DARE) – Quota of places available:
- 5% of 1st year intake at St Patrick's Pontifical University, Maynooth will be available to students with disabilities.
Contact us by clicking the email link below or simply send us a message via our contact form.
St Patrick's Pontifical University, Maynooth
Tel: +353 (0)1 708 4772
Pontifical University Office
Tel: +353 (0)1 708 3600
|MU001||BA Theology & Arts (BATh)||2||300|
For Undergraduate queries: email email@example.com.
For Postgraduate queries: email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For The Centre for Mission & Ministries queries, email: email@example.com.