20 weeks (1 hour a week)
Reflective Journal 50% Synthesis Paper 50%
The aim of this module is to introduce students to the ethos and methodologies of differing forms of accompaniment – Pastoral Counselling, Moral Guidance and Spiritual Accompaniment. By the end of the module, students will be familiar with best professional practices, while drawing upon the resources of the Christian tradition.
- Awareness: Self-Awareness, Reflective practice
- Frameworks: C. Rogers, E. Ericson, A. Maslow, G.Egan, J.M. Gotmann, S. Johnson, D. Siegel
- Attachment, Relationship Dynamics, Conflict, Trauma
- Counselling Modalities, Person Centred, Psychodynamic, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Ethical Frameworks in Counselling
- Counselling Skills
- Principles of Pastoral Ethics
- Signposts in Moral Guidance
- Case Studies and Areas of Concern
- Models of Spiritual Direction
- Various Prayer Practices
- Ignatian Framework for Spiritual Accompaniment (Barry and Connolly)
- — Appraise appropriate skills, resources and practices
- — Critically reflect on relevant case-material and experiences
- — Distinguish between types of Pastoral Accompaniment: Pastoral Counselling, Moral Guidance and Spiritual Accompaniment
- — Exhibit self-awareness and critical reflection as it relates to pastoral ministry and accompaniment
- — Recognise and explain the principles of best practice
- — Review foundational theory, theorists, church teaching and/or spiritual teachers
- — William A. Barry and William J. Connolly, The Practice of Spiritual Direction, revised and updated, New York: HarperOne, 2009.
- — Richard Gula, Moral Discernment, New York: Paulist Press, 1997.
- — Richard Gula, Just Ministry: Professional Ethics for Pastoral Ministers, New York: Paulist Press, 2007.
- — James Keenan, Moral Wisdom: Lessons and Texts from the Catholic Tradition, New York: Sheed & Ward, 2004.
- — Vincent MacNamara, New Life for Old: On Desire and Becoming Human, (Dublin: The Columba Press, 2004.
- — D. Mearns & B. Thorne, Person Centred Counselling in Action, 4th Edition, London: Sage, 2013.