Lectures 24 Hours
Classwork 30% Mid-Term Assignment 30% • End of Semester Assignment 40%
The course is designed to introduce students to aspects of teaching religion in Irish Primary and Secondary Schools.
By the end of the module, students will be able to.
- Define the principle terms and concepts associated with Irish education today and specifically Religious Education.
- Understand the difference between Religious Education, Catholic Education and Catechesis.
- Integrate their theological knowledge into religious education methodologies.
- Explain the concepts and current thinking on Childhood Spirituality.
- Understand the current curricula and syllabi for teaching religious education in Ireland.
- Show proficiency in constructing lesson plans based on content and current methodologies.
- Understand and evaluate the current challenges involved in teaching religious education today.
- Identify and describe the relationship between faith, spirituality and education as it is manifest in post-primary education today.
- Discuss the place of a faith and spirituality in the life of a teachers
- Religious Education
- Religious Education – Theological and Philosophical Perspectives
- Integrating Theology and Religious Education
- Catholic Education
- Vision, Ethos and Identity of Faith Based Schools
- Spirituality of the Child
- Religious Education – Curricula
- Religious Education – Programmes
- Religious Education – Methodologies & Planning
- Religious Education – Contemporary Issues and Challenges
- Faith, Spirituality and Education
- Teacher Identity
- — Kieran, Patricia and Anne Hession, eds, Exploring Religious Education: Catholic Religious Education in an Intercultural Europe, Dublin: Veritas, 2008.
- — Hession, Anne Catholic Primary Religious Education in a Pluralist Environment, Veritas 2015.
- — Groome, Thomas H, Will There be Faith? Depends on Every Christian, Dublin: Veritas, 2011.
- — O’Higgins Norman, James, ed., Education Matters – Readings in Pastoral Care for School Chaplains, Guidance Counsellors and Teachers, Dublin: Veritas, 2011.
- — Lane, Dermot A. Challenges Facing Religious Education in Contemporary Ireland, Dublin: Veritas, 2008.
- — Ratcliff, Donald E., ed. Handbook of Children’s Religious Education Birmingham, AL: Religious Education Press, 1992.
- — Best, Ron, ed. Education, Spirituality and the Whole Child London: Cassell 1996.
- — Barnes, L. Philip, ed. Debates in Religious Education London: Routledge 2012.
- — Byrne, Garth & Patricia Kieran, Toward Mutual Ground – Pluralism, Religious Education and Diversity in Irish Schools Dublin: Columba Press, 2013.