4 hours on campus lectures during the weekend residentials (divided between 2 weekends) 6 hours live on-line lectures on Wednesday evening, 6 hours of self-directed learning, Assignment – 15 hours, Private Study – 24 hours.
- To introduce students to the theological understanding of the Church as it emerges in scripture and as it unfolds in history.
- To demonstrate an ability to critically assess the functioning of the Church today with respect to its origins as found in the New Testament Communities.
- To present the ecclesial vision of Vatican II and the work of contemporary theologians.
- To introduce the students to the sacraments in their ecclesiological context.
- To understand the relations between symbol, sacrament and ritual and how this might help frame contemporary sacramental understanding.
- To explore and assess the impact and importance of Vatican II (and the major theologians of that time) in the development of Sacramental theology.
- The Origin of the Church
- Church and its relationship to the Kingdom
- Models of Church
- Magisterium, leadership and roles in the Church
- A developing ecclesiology
- The principles of Catholic sacramental theology
- Rite and ritual: a secular-belief/sociological assessment of the sacraments
- Contemporary Issues facing the sacraments today
- — Understand the mysterious nature, and our always developing understanding of the Church.
- — Recognise the relationship of the Church with the Kingdom of God.
- — Appreciate the Church as the universal sacrament.
- — Know the key principles of Catholic sacramental theology.
- — Recognise the importance of faith in a fruitful celebration of the sacraments
- — • Identify the issues relating to a more effective celebration of the sacraments in the context of the contemporary mission of the Church in Ireland.
- — SECOND VATICAN COUNCIL, Sacrosanctum Concilium, AAS 56 (1964) 97-138. • Lumen Gentium, 21 November 1964, AAS 57 (1965) 5-71. • Nostra Aetate, 28 October 1965, AAS 58 (1966) 740-744. • Ad Gentes, 7 December 1965, AAS 58 (1966) 947-990. • Dei Verbum, 18 November 1966, AAS 58 (1966) 817-835. • Gaudium et Spes, 7 December 1966, AAS 58 (1966) 1025-1120. ntes, 7 December 1965, AAS 58 (1966) 947-990. _____, Dei Verbum, 18 November 1966, AAS 58 (1966) 817-835. _____, Gaudium et Spes, 7 December 1966, AAS 58 (1966) 1025-1120.
- — Bevans, Stephen. An Introduction to Theology in Global Perspective. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 2009.
- — Boring, M. Eugene. An Introduction to the New Testament. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2012.
- — Dulles, Avery. Models of Revelation Maryknoll, NY: Orbis, 1983. • Models of the Church (Expanded edition). New York: Image Books, 2002.
- — Grün, Anselm. The Seven Sacraments. London: Continuum, 2003.
- — Guzie, Tad. The Book of Sacramental Basics. New York: Paulist Press, 1981.
- — Henn, William. Church – The People of God. London: Burns & Oates, 2004.
- — Hession, Anne & Patricia Kieran eds. Exploring Theology – Making Sense of the Catholic Tradition. Dublin: Veritas 2007.
- — Himes, Michael J. The Mystery of Faith – An Introduction to Catholicism. Cincinnati, OH: Franciscan Media, 2004.
- — Irwin, Kevin W. The Sacraments. New York: Paulist Press, 2016. Lane, Dermot A. The Experience of God – An Invitation to Do Theology. Dublin: Veritas 2003.
- — Leahy, Brendan. The Marian Profile in the Ecclesiology of Hans Urs von Balthasar. London: New City, 2000.
- — Lewis, C.S. The Abolition of Man. London: Harper Collins, 1999. • Mere Christianity. London: Harper Collins, 2002.
- — McGrath, Alister E. Christian Theology – An Introduction Oxford: Blackwell 2001. McGrath, Alister E. Theology: The Basics Oxford: Blackwell 2008.
- — McGrath, Alister. Mere Theology London: SPCK, 2010.
- — Migliore, Daniel L. Faith Seeking Understanding – An Introduction to Christian Theology Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2914.
- — Murphy, Francesca Aram, Balázs M. Mezei & Kenneth Oakes Illuminating Faith – An Invitation to Theology London: Bloomsbury, 2015.
- — O’Collins, Gerard SJ Retrieving Fundamental Theology – The Three Styles of Contemporary Theology London: Geoffrey Chapman, 1994.
- — O’Collins, Gerald & Mario Farrugia: Catholicism: The Story of Catholic Christianity Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004
- — O’Collins, Gerard SJ Rethinking Fundamental Theology – Toward a New Fundamental Theology Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- — Plantinga, Richard J., Thomas R. Thompson and Matthew D. Lundberg An Introduction to Christian Theology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2010.
- — Ratzinger, Joseph. Introduction to Christianity. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2004 (3rd ed.). • Principles of Catholic Theology. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1987. • Church, Ecumenism and Politics. Slough: St Paul Publications, 1988. • Called to Communion. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 1996. • The Spirit of the Liturgy. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2000. • Pilgrim Fellowship of Faith: The Church as Communion. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2005. • Jesus of Nazareth, Vol. I. London: Bloomsbury, 2007. • The God of Jesus Christ. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2008.
- — Joseph Ratzinger in Communio, Vol. I, The Unity of the Church. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2010. • Joseph Ratzinger in Communio, Vol. II, Anthropology and Culture. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2013.
- — Rausch, Thomas P. ed. The College Student’s Introduction to Theology Collegeville, MN: Michael Glazer, 1993.
- — Rausch, Thomas P. Systematic Theology Collegeville, MN: Michael Glazer, 2016.
- — Schüssler Fiorenza, Francis & Galvin, John P. Systematic Theology – Roman Catholic Perspectives. Minneapolis, MN: Fortress, 2011.
- — Spufford, Francis. Unapologetic: Why, Despite Everything, Christianity Can Still Make Surprising Emotional Sense. London: Faber and Faber, 2013.
- — Tillich, Paul. Dynamics of Faith. London: Harper 1957.
- — Towey, Anthony. An Introduction to Christian Theology. London: Bloomsbury, 2013.
- — Vorgrimler, Herbert. Commentary on the Documents of Vatican II, Vol. III. London: Burns & Oates, 1969.
- — Donald Wuerl, The Sacraments – A Continuing Encounter with Christ. Huntington, IN: Our Sunday Visitor, 2010.